Friday, January 24, 2014

Real Estate Drama: The Fed Strikes Back

I have a lot of catching up to do. It's been an eventful couple days.
Yesterday was my last day of work, Eduardo's too. And of course we were supposed to close on the house in the morning. We were planning a celebratory dinner at The Cheesecake Factory and everything! But as the morning turned into noon, things were looking grim. I was at my farewell lunch, texting back and forth with our real estate agent trying to figure out what in the hell was going on. And it took half the day to sort out because of the chain of people things had to travel through. It was like a game of telephone. Me to agent, agent to title company, title company to their bank, their bank with the Federal Reserve. Yep that's right. The United States Federal Reserve was the one holding everything up. The bank we sent the wire to wanted to release the money. And the title company wanted to sell the house, but for some reason Eduardo's name (on our checking account) was "flagged" by them. What we were able to gather is that there is some Jose Gonzalez out there that owes the IRS a lot of money or something, and so the Federal Reserve was taking their sweet-ass time determining that MY Eduardo was not him. The end of the day came, and once again we were unable to close. SO FRUSTRATING!!!! I kept asking if there was someone we should or could call to get everything sorted out, but we just didn't know who to go to. The title company said they'd hold our signed papers until the end of today, but after that they would have to end the process if it still didn't go through. Basically that means we would have to start from the beginning if we still wanted the house. Eduardo got home and was super upset. I was so frustrated that I was beyond being upset anymore. And we had to pack for Alaska. I just decided to let it go for the night, which is something of a miracle for me. If there was nothing I could do, then there was nothing I could do. And for once in my life I was able to realize that. But Eduardo wanted to go to the bank and update our account with his new photo I.D., just in case the "Fed" decided to call the bank to verify his identity.
This morning I received a text... 

No comments:

Post a Comment