Monday, February 3, 2014

Real Estate Drama: Return of the Homeowner

Victory Beers!!!
I was trying to type on the plane, but my wireless keyboard doesn't work in airplane mode, and it was slow and I never did get to finish my entry after they came around with the drink cart. And now we are in Alaska! So I have been busy chillin' with my bro. (That means spending time with my littlest brother;)
Anyway, getting back to the story, at 7:00 am on the day we left I got a call from the receiving bank. They asked me for Eduardo's social, and his drivers license number. I asked if they needed anything else, and the woman I was speaking with said there was nothing left to ask besides what shoe size he was. I told her I could give it to her if she thought it would help. I think she was joking. I was not.
After that we waited, hoping for a quick resolution, and finished up our packing. By the time we got to the airport there was still no word. We went through security and found a bar that was surprisingly open in the early morning. We grabbed a couple seats at the bar top of Original Joe's, and ordered a couple beers from a disinterested looking bartender, and still no news.
We were trying to make the most of things, but it was so ridiculous that we even felt the need to do so! I mean we were at the airport heading off to wild Alaska! We had both just completed our last days of work! We were both at a bar having a beer at 8:00 on a Tuesday morning! Making "the most" of it should have been easy. But it wasn't. We were doing our best though....and the beer at 8:30 am helped a little too. That's how warped things get when you are under pressure and stress I guess. It's an ugly thing, and I don't like it. A beer at 8:30 am shouldnt require anyones best effort.
Anyway about nine, Eduardo was on the phone with his mom when I received a text from our agent. "The wire has been received and funded!!! You now own a home!!!" And just like that, sitting in an airport bar, on our way to Alaska, we became first time home owners. It was so shocking that the money finally went through I didn't even know what to think. Eduardo looked relieved, but I was having a more difficult time processing the news. Of course I let Dad, Mom, and everyone know. But it took....almost all the way to Fairbanks for it to sink in to the point that my jaw was able to release, and the frown lines on my forehead to relax. It took another couple days for that weird weighted "you must DO something NOW" feeling to lift.
Now I feel pretty excited. I haven't been thinking about it too much since I've been up here though, which I think is good. I need a little break. And I don't want to spend my whole vacation thinking about the house. I'll have plenty of time to do that when we get to Michigan.

The whole house buying experience was not enjoyable for me. I hate to say it, but it's true. But it was also a learning experience. And while it took three times longer than it should to close, I am glad we were able to get it squared away before heading up here to Alaska. Now I am free to enjoy my wonderful, beautiful vacation, and still have a house to come to when we head back east in a couple weeks. 

My actual text from the Agent!

Eduardo was on the phone with his mom when we received the news!

No comments:

Post a Comment