Monday, February 24, 2014

Unloading

Our trailer being dropped off.
We had a busy but good Monday I think. But let me back up. Yesterday we went to Menards and ordered all of our kitchen cabinets, interior doors, sliding doors, and stain/odor resistant primer. It was a hefty bill...like $2000 I think. It was not too bad ordering it all (Dad helped a ton in getting the right cabinets, and helping us know what we needed), but it was a bit stressful to spend that money. To tell the truth, it was a lot stressful.
Today, since it was Monday, we wanted to get a good start on the week. We did yoga, went to the gym, looked at a set of appliances for the kitchen (that Eduardo found on Craigslist). Our truck finally arrived and  unloaded the whole thing ourselves, and we finished pulling all the staples out of the floor, and removed the bar upstairs!
I'm pretty peaced out again, but a couple quick thoughts:
1.) Moving furniture cross-country is a pain. All of our furniture got damaged in some way. From being scratched, to full-on broken. I'm not sure it was worth it, and it was pretty disappointing. If we were to do it again I think I'd try to get rid of the smaller stuff, it's not worth trying to pack. Oh well though, it's done now.
2.) Eduardo has been combing Craigslist (something I don't have the patience to do) and he found a set of kitchen appliances for $650. We have been debating back and forth about whether or not to go for stainless appliances, or white as I had planned. He has been leaning toward stainless, and I agree that it would be the most aesthetic, but trying to fit the cost into our budget is tough. Anyway, the set he found was white, and upper end, from a nice house. We went and looked at it today. The frig is much bigger than the one we currently have, but otherwise everything fit perfectly. I guess it's a gamble, but we ended up getting the set, plus a dining room table, for $600. I think it will look great, but who knows what other people will think. The fact is though, we just don't have $3000 to spend on new appliances, especially because we decided to go for new cabinets. These are the kind of chances we are taking. We could have gone with old cabinets and new appliances. I guess we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment