Saturday, February 8, 2014

Give Me a Break!

Dog sleding in Alaska!
I haven't written much about the house since I've been up here in Alaska, but that is a good thing. I needed the break. And a break I've had. When you are 250 miles from the nearest Starbucks, and your cell phone doesn't work, there is not much else you can do but let things go and relax. Getting to pet my sled puppies everyday has been therapeutic too, and like most vacations, being up here has given me some perspective on my life that I probably would not have been able to have otherwise.
And that is the best thing. I can easily see how moving and house buying can be stressful, especially with the difficulties we've had. But there is also some part of me that  thinks if you are going to do it at all, you should enjoy it. The trick is, when you are in the thick of it, it's near impossible to step back and think to yourself "Oh yeah, this is fun."
But having a two week break between buying the house, and getting everything packed up and hitting the road, has been really great. If we would have headed out to Michigan right away, I'm afraid I would have been a mess. The drive would have been stressful, I would have still been all anxious because of the messy closing. But now I am ready. I feel super excited to get everything packed up. I feel excited and refreshed and ready to get to Michigan and get to work on the house! And instead of stressful pressure to get things done, I am now feeling happily anxious to get things started.

I am sure most people can't take a two week vacation to the middle of nowhere between buying their first house and moving. But if they could, I'd certainly recommend it. I think it was the best thing I could have done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment