Monday, May 12, 2014

First Time for Everything


I have done a lot of things in my life. I've seen the Eiffel Tower, I've been diving with sharks off the coast of Cuba in the middle of the night.  I've climbed several of the highest peaks in the Sierra Nevada Mountians. I've seen the Leaning Tower of Piza, and been atop the Great Wall of China. I've written a masters thesis on the geochemistry of fifteen million year old rocks, and discovered a new (extinct) species of scallops. I've done lots of cool stuff to be sure. But one thing I haven't done is...mow a lawn!
Yes. Well, that was until today anyway, whereupon I DID mow a lawn, and spent the whole time thinking about how it could possibly be that I've never done it before.
But ever since I left home as a teen, I either lived in an apartment or condo complex, or my house didn't have a yard that required mowing. So here I am, suddenly 34 years old and an honest-to-god lawn mowing virgin.
Over all I think I did OK. I'd give myself an A+ for effort and about a....C...maybe C- for execution. Technically I probably mowed it twice by the time I managed to figure out where I'd been before, and get my lines straight. But I prefer to think of myself as extremely thorough.

I am sure if there was someone watching me though, they would have been wondering what in the hell I was doing, trailblazing as I was and going in multiple circles around the trees. And a further technicality I guess is that I wasn't really mowing much actual grass. It was more a "deflowering" as there was a most surprisingly robust colony of dandelions carpeting the space between the house and the road. But, whatever. It counts to me . Anyway, it got done, I am no longer a lawn-mowing virgin and I enjoyed every minute of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment