Sunday, May 4, 2014

Obstacles


04/26/14
The toughest obstacle to overcome in my painting venture was how to get up in the high corner above the stairs. On the other side we could slide that perilous scaffolding right up to the wall, but above the stairs was another matter. The scaffolding couldn't reach it because of the staircase, and a step ladder couldn't because there was no flat spot to put it, and an extension ladder was out because the railing was in the way!
Dad suggested getting cinder blocks and putting those on a lower step and then setting one ladder leg on the block, and one on the step, two steps up, creating a flat platform for the ladder to rest on. I agree that this sounds a little sketchy, but there were honesty not many other options. So we went to Home Depot, got two cinder blocks, and set it up and...it worked great!
Eduardo was the brave soul who both tested it, and then climbed up there and helped me get it taped off. My job at first was to hold the ladder while he tested it, but I'm pretty sure the only support I was offering was of the moral variety. While I'd like to think I could hold up two cinder blocks, a grown man, and a ladder with my bare strength, I seriously doubt it. I did not mention that as Eduardo took the first step. Why worry both of us? Luckily I wasn't tested on that matter, and it was solid enough for us to get the job done.
Some projects take a team to figure out, and this was one of them. Dad had the idea, Eduardo was the brave one who risked his life, and I was the one who took pictures. All vital components to getting the job done;)



1 comment:

  1. That is a lot like our second house (where your grandparents lived next to us). Steep angled ceiling, staircase, loft, yup same painting problems too. You are lucky to have a team.

    ReplyDelete