Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Speak to Me


We have these built in speakers in the ceiling at the house. I wanted to get rid of them. But they guys seemed to think they were pretty cool, so majority ruled, and they stayed. But they were black and they needed to...not be black. So I made a project of it. And I learned two very important facts:
1.) You will never find more across-the-board miserable retired men anywhere than in a Jo-Ann Fabrics store at 10:15 AM on a Wednesday morning, and
2.) You cannot spray paint speaker fabric, no matter how many cans of spray paint you use.
Clearly spray painting didn't work. I wish it would have, because it would have been super easy and would have made me feel less bad about all the fumes I inhaled. It turned out I needed to cover them. Thus the trip to Jo-Ann's. The only problem was the fabric I bought wasn't opaque enough to cover the speakers to the point that you didn't notice that I tried to spray paint the shit out of one of them and left the other one untouched. SO I had to get more fabric and try again. I am learning that remodeling requires an amount of patience that I find both uncomfortable, and annoying. I'm also learning to take a breath and carry on.
I used a glue gun to glue the material onto the existing frame (twice as it were), over the original speaker fabric, and it worked pretty well I think. I still have a little finishing up to do on caulking and so forth, but as long as there isn't a short in the speaker wire on the one that is shellacked with two cans of flammable spray paint, I think we are in good shape!
Ta Daaaaa!
There was honestly no way to make this photo look more interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment