Wednesday, April 9, 2014

High Places



We were lucky enough to be able to borrow some scaffolding from Uncle Jack. We need it to work on the ceiling and skylights in the living room where the ceilings are about 30' high. The thing is, there was some debate on how to put it together. And by "debate" I mean that none of us knew how, or had any instructions. After some deliberation Eduardo, Dad and Uncle Jack decided on an arrangement that seemed pretty stable. And they were happy with it. Eduardo climbed all over it, and it appeared to be safe enough. Technically it can't fall over since the height of the thing exceeds the length of the room it's in. At worst it could only fall half way and put a few huge dents in the wall, or perhaps crash through into the bathroom.
Anyway, here is my problem. I am supposed to get it and sand the ceiling and paint. And while I can appreciate Eduardo's intrepid spirit, I am not so sure I want to risk my life climbing out on something that may, or may not, be put together correctly. I'm sure it's fine, but the whole thing just seems so....sketchy to me. Dad and Eduardo thought it was pretty funny that I was comfortable scuba diving at night, but am afraid to scale a little scaffolding. I reminded them that I couldn't fall to my death while diving. They reminded me that there were sharks. I'm still not sure who won that argument. I think it was a stalemate.
Eventually I am going to have to get out there, but in the mean time Eduardo has gone up and trimmed out the skylights, and filled in the drywall in the window well, and they look amazing! It's one of the few things we have finished pretty much completely and I couldn't be happier.











No comments:

Post a Comment