Thursday, April 3, 2014

Play By Play

My project for today: Upstairs bathroom.
This always happens to me! Now that I am finally caught up, and am awake enough to post stuff, I have nothing exciting to say! That's probably why I'm not exhausted, because nothing is happening.
Yesterday and today I was on my own at the house because the guys were off doing a tile job. And per usual, I spent all day painting. I was busy the whole time, but when I got back to the coffeehouse and they asked me what I did all day, suddenly "priming the bathroom" didn't seem like very much. I thought to myself I must be forgetting something, but besides a few odd tasks, nope. Unless you count the drywall dust I picked out of my nose, I really did spend six hours just painting a (tiny) bathroom! What the heck? So I'm going to do something I won't do often (because it's boring), to help explain how long it takes to get things done when you are remodeling. And how painting a minuscule bathroom can kind of take much longer than you'd think. I'm going to give you a play-by-play of my day as best as I remember it.
First I went to Home Depot. I picked up more ceiling paint, more primer, more paint trays, a sanding block and some door hinges.
When I got to the house the first thing I did was spackle a few spots in the bedroom that either needed more work, or I didn't notice before. While those were drying I sanded the spots in the bedroom I spackled yesterday, that I didn't notice the day before. I do this pretty much everyday.Then I poured some primer and finished priming the bedroom ceiling, minus the gaping hole up into the attic space. Then I went into the bathroom and pulled the doors off the vanity that I need to paint, and then removed the hinges from the doors, being careful not to lose the screws. Then I wiped down all the walls, taped the mirror, swept the floor (so if I touch it by accident with the roller I won't drag miscellaneous pieces of wood or insulation, or ladybugs all over my walls), Then I pulled out the nails that were stuck in the walls from where the trim was. Then I spent ten minutes trying to figure out how to get the cover off the fan, but I never did figure it out. Then I sanded all the spackling I did in there yesterday. Then I got my brush out and primed the vanity, and all the doors, and drawer faces. Then I did all the corners of the walls (also with the brush) and around the fan and light fixture in there. Then I got the roller out and started filling in. The ceiling is on an angle in there, so it was a little tricky getting all the corners and stuff, but I managed. I texted mom.
Then while the first coat of that was drying I went out to prime all the trim from the bedroom. But first I had to clear a space for it, sweep the floor, move a bunch of stuff around, and then I got to painting it. Then I noticed a couple half walls and odd places (that were touching the new walls for the walk in closet) that I had not primed yet. So I pulled off all the switch plates, wiped them down, vaccumed/swept underneath them, cut in my corners and rolled them. Then I texted Dad to see if the new wall (for the back of the walk-in closet) was ready to be painted. He said I should make the call. I called yes. So I did that wall too. Then Home Depot called and let me know our new windows are in. After I checked on the bathroom but the walls were still tacky and so was the spackling I was needing to dry in the bedroom. So I did some general cleaning and straightening up. I texted cousin Esther. I went to the  grocery store to go pee (we still don't have a functioning toilet), came back and had my sandwich. Then I went for round two on priming the bathroom. It's much easier the second time since you don't have to go through all the cleaning and taping again. But it did take some time to go over the vanity and doors. After that I still had some primer left in the try so I went over (for a third time!) the sloped ceiling in the bedroom that used to be painted a maroon red. I plan to paint it white, and I don't want to have any dark, or heaven forbid, red, spots showing through when I am done. 
Suddenly it was time to head home and make dinner! So I cleaned up my stuff, washed my brushes, turned off the lights and the radio, locked the front door, and picked partially hardened drywall boogers out of my nose as I headed back here. And that is it! That was my whole work day. And it took all of six hours! Geez. Where does the time go? Oh well. I guess it doesn't matter because I'll be doing the same thing tomorrow. What excitement do I have planned? Painting the bedroom ceiling. Doing a final coat on some trim. Changing the hinges on two doors. Painting a door. Sanding a few spots, and filling in a few more. So much excitement. How ever will I sleep tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment