Sunday, August 17, 2014

Before and After Part 5: The Master Suite

I wasn't impressed with this room initially. I didn't like the deck, I wasn't a fan of the sloped ceiling, and I thought how much time does anyone really spend in their bedroom anyway? But I have since changed my mind. This room was my biggest "surprise" in terms exceeding my expectations.
Pretty much everyone but me thought it needed a walk-in closet. I dragged my feet, but they won and so we moved the living room wall out about three feet to add to the existing two foot deep closet. As with every room everything was painted, we put in a new ceiling fan, new window and sliding door. Eduardo spent a cold, drizzly day outside power washing the deck. We put in all new doors, and new carpet as well. The space is so big that we have plenty of room for our bed, plus I was able to set up a cozy reading corner and still have room in the middle to roll out a yoga mat.
The master bath was small and pink. Well actually I think "mauve" might have been what it was called originally. Whatever it was in 1989, it is hideous now. The guys pulled everything out. We trashed the toilet, sink and fiberglass shower stall. I was able to save the vanity and painted it white. I painted the room in a relaxing shade of grayish-lavender, the guys tiled the floor and laid the most beautiful shower I think I've ever seen. It looks like it belongs in a fancy New York apartment or something. We got a new toilet, sink, and hardware, and we scored a great deal on the perfect shower door to complete the package. It might be small, but it is bright and cheerful and SO luxurious!
The whole combination of bedroom/private deck/closet and attached bath make the space feel like a high-end hotel suite. It's such a surprise to me how much I enjoy spending time in there (especially since I've become pregnant). I feel like I'm on vacation!
















No comments:

Post a Comment