Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Oh Deer!

Deer sweet Charlie.
I've mentioned before some of the wildlife that I have seen on our property. Well now we have a couple new additions. There is a mallard couple that live in the reeds on the south side of the yard. They spend the afternoons lounging around in the shade in the front yard. They are really cute, and always together. They are friends with another newcomer, Charlie, and the three of them often visit with one another. Charlie is a little buck that is not shy around people. (My guess is someone raised him from a fawn, and then released him once he got too big to keep in the living room.) I feel bad for him, because I think he will come to a bad end, but maybe not. Anyway he hangs around and eats all the leaves off the bottom of the apple tree in the back yard. He's really something else. He just walks right up to you. I don't feed him, or pet him or anything (because I don't think it's good for him), but I do say hello, and don't scare him when he approaches. He likes to introduce himself to anyone new that comes to the house if he happens to be around. He is so cute and innocent you just want to hug him! I worry a little what will happen to him (or others) when the little furry buttons on his forehead become full-fledged antlers, and the rutting hormones start racing through his veins. Hopefully he moves off into the country before then. Anyway, he sure is sweet to have around for now.

Charlie and Eduardo

Charlie trimming the apple tree.

Charlie saying hi to mom

Charlie and Helen and Steve (the mallards)


No comments:

Post a Comment